The Bridge Between Who I Was and Who I Became
There are some places we remember not because anything extraordinary happened there, but because, for a few quiet moments, life seemed to slow down enough for us to notice it.
Hastings was one of those places for me.
It was late in the evening, and the town had already surrendered itself to the night. The sky was almost completely black, the kind of darkness that makes every artificial light seem brighter than it really is. Ahead, the great arch of the bridge stretched across the river, illuminated against the darkness. From a distance it looked less like a structure of steel and more like a doorway, connecting not merely two banks of a river, but two moments in time.
I remember walking through the park, surrounded by trees, grass, silent pathways and the occasional pool of light from a lamp. During the day, perhaps, it would have been an ordinary public space. Children might have run across the lawns, cyclists might have passed, people might have sat talking by the river. But at night it had a completely different personality. Everything seemed still. Even the river appeared to be carrying its thoughts quietly beneath the bridge.
Then there was that simple stone sign: HASTINGS.
I stood beside it for a photograph.
At the time, it was just what travellers do. You find the name of a place, stand next to it and take a picture so that someday you can say, Yes, I was there.
But photographs become strange things with time.
When I look at that picture now, I no longer see only the man standing beside the Hastings sign. I see an entire period of my life surrounding him, invisible to the camera.
I wonder what he was thinking at that moment. What worries was he carrying? What plans occupied his mind? What seemed urgent then that hardly matters now? And what small things did he fail to notice because he assumed there would always be another evening, another journey, another opportunity to stand somewhere unfamiliar and simply look around?
Memory does not preserve life in the orderly way a camera does. It keeps fragments.
The glow of the bridge.
The darkness of the river.
The coolness of the night.
The empty pathway leading somewhere beyond the photograph.
The strange feeling of being far from home, yet completely at peace for a few minutes.
Perhaps that is why travel stays with us. We imagine that we are visiting places, but places are quietly recording versions of us.
Somewhere in Hastings, on that night, there existed a version of me who had not yet lived the days I have lived since. He did not know what conversations awaited him, what decisions he would make, what people would enter or leave his life, what successes or disappointments were still travelling toward him.
He simply stood beside a stone sign while someone took a photograph.
And perhaps that is one of the most beautiful things about old photographs. The person inside them knows nothing about the future.
We do.
Looking at the bridge now, I find the symbolism almost unavoidable. A bridge exists because two places are separated. It does not eliminate the distance; it simply makes the crossing possible.
Life feels much the same when viewed backwards.
There is the person we once were on one side, and the person we have become on the other. Between them are years of work, relationships, journeys, mistakes, discoveries, losses, ambitions and countless ordinary days that we barely remember. We cross that distance so slowly that we do not notice ourselves changing.
Until one evening, years later, we encounter an old photograph.
Then suddenly the distance becomes visible.
The illuminated bridge at Hastings seems especially appropriate for such a memory. Behind it is darkness, beneath it flows a river that never stops moving, and across it runs a path toward somewhere we cannot see.
That night, I was simply visiting Hastings.
Today, when I look back, I realise Hastings had quietly given me something else: a marker on the long road of my own life.
A small stone sign beside a pathway.
A bridge glowing in the darkness.
A photograph of someone I recognise completely, yet can never become again.
And perhaps that is what nostalgia really is.
Not the desire to return to a place.
But the impossible desire, just for a moment, to stand beside the person we once were and tell him:
Look around carefully.
You will remember this night someday.
Comments
Post a Comment