Humayun's Tomb is a complex building of Mughal architecture built as the tomb of Mughal Emperor Humayun. Humayun was the son of Babar, who founded the dynasty. The tomb is now one of the best-preserved Mughal monuments in Delhi and is maintained by the Archeological Society of India (ASI). This is also listed under the UNESCO World Heritage Site.
Humayun's Tomd is located in near the Hazrat Nizamuddin Railway Station. I drove to ITO and then took Mathura Road. At the Lodhi Road crossing, I took left turn and then one more left turn at the next round about took me to the tomb. It was just 20 minute drive.
The tomb was built by emperor Akbar according to the wish of his mother, the senior widow of Humayun, Hazi Begum (alias Hamida Banu Begum). The constructions started in 1562 AD and took 8 years to complete. The architect of the monument was Sayyed Muhammad. Muhammed worked in the guidance of his father Mirak Ghiyathuddin. Both of them were persians and came from Herat.
The tomb is surrounded by the gardens from three side. This was the first tomb in India with gardens. These gardens are beautifully maintained by the ASI.
On entering the main entrance, we saw Isa's Tomb at the left hand. After visiting Isa's tomb, we walked towards the main building. The main building is set at the center of gardens. A high wall surrounds the garden on three sides, the fourth side being bounded by what was once the bank of the river Jamuna, which has since been diverted. The garden is divided into four parts by two bisecting water channels with paved walkways (khiyabans), which terminate at two gates: a main one in the southern wall, and a smaller one in the western wall.
A large iwan, a high arch, punctuates the center of each facade, and is set back slightly. Together with the other arches and openings, this effect creates a varied and complex impression of depth at each facade. Detailed ornamentation in three colors of stone adds to the richness to the surfaces. The plan of the main tomb building is intricate. It is a square 'ninefold plan', where eight two-storyed vaulted chambers radiate from the central, double-height domed chamber. The chambers of each level are interconnected by straight and diagonal passages. In Humayun's tomb, each of the main chambers has in turn eight more, smaller chambers radiating from it. The symmetrical ground plan contains 124 vaulted chambers in all.
The sarcophagus of Humayun is found in the central domed chamber, the head pointing south, and facing east according to Islamic practice. The vaulted chambers also contain sarcophagi that were added later. The sex of each occupant is marked by a simple carved symbol: a box of writing instruments indicates a male, and a writing slate indicates a female. The sarcophagi are not otherwise inscribed, but among them are known to be those containing the wives of Humayun, and several later Mughal emperors and princes.
Pink and white stone is used in the construction of the tomb. The dome of the tomb is made of whit stone, which gives it a beautiful look. The architects of the tomb, Sayyed Mohammad and his father were persian. But they were influenced with the Hindu architecture and other buildings in the Delhi. It has hexagonal chattries (domed pavilions) like those found in the Rajput forts. Even at the main entrance of the tomb, they have two-triangular hexagonal (two-triangles placed on one other with one's vertex towards the base of other), which is very common in Hindu culture. The inner side of the dome of main building is beautified with a special pattern of white tiles (See image at the right).
Between 2000 and 2003, The Aga Khan Trust for Culture funded and collaborated with the ASI in implementing a project to revitalize the 30-acre garden surrounded the monument. Amongst other conservation work, 3 kms of water channel has been repaired, 3.5 kms of pathway edging restored, 3000 trucks of excess earth manually removed, 4 kms of sandstone hand-chiselled, 2500 plants favored by the Mughals planted, 2500 square meter of pathway restored, an exhaustive rainwater harvesting system introduces, minor structure conserved, historic wells discovered and destilled, wheel chair access and a site interpretation center provided.
Restoration work was going on the roof of the tomb and they had laid sown stairs made of iron pipes and wood to carry the construction material to the top of the building.
At the entrance of the main boundary wall, encountered a ticket counter. Thy charge a very nominal fees towards the maintenance of the tomb.
- Children up to 15 years: Free.
- Adult Indians: Rs. 10 per person.
- Foreigners: Rs. 250 per person.
From sunrise to sunset.
The Humayun’s Tomb complex also houses many other prominent buildings which are examples of architecture of the period preceding and succeeding Humayun. The prominent among them are:
The tomb is located at the southeast corner in the garden complex. The tomb is datable to 1590-91, through an inscription found inside. The person interned in this tomb is unknown, the local name of the tomb is Barber’s Tomb (Nai ka Gumbad).
The monument is located outside the eastern enclosure wall, which is locally known as Nila Gumbad, due to the blue coloured dome. It is believed to contain the remains of one Fahim Khan, the attendant of Abdur Rahim Khan, who lived during the reign of Jahangir. The attendant died in 1626 A.D.
Chillah Nizamuddin Aulia
The building is located outside to the northeast corner of the mausoleum and in Tughluq style. The building is believed to be the residence of Shaik Nizamuddin Aulia who died in 1325 A.D.
The mosque is located to the southwest of the west gate of the main mausoleum, the building is dated between 1560 and 1567 based on the architectural style.
The tomb is located adjacent to the Afsarwala Mosque, and is an unidentified tomb. One of the marble graves inside the tomb has a date of 1566-67 A.D..
The sarai was built by Haji Begum, the widow of Humayun in 1560-61 to house the three hundred Arab priests, who were said to have been brought with her from her pilgrimage to Mecca. Another version is that the building housed the Persian workers and craftsmen who were actually engaged in building the Humayun’s Tomb. The sarai is located adjacent to the Afsarwala mosque.
Garden of Bu Halima
The visitor entering the Humayun Tomb complex first enters into a garden complex, known as the Bu Halima garden. However, the origin of the name is not known and the garden on its style could be datable to the early Mughals.
Tomb and Mosque of Isa Khan
The tomb and mosque of Isa Khan is located to the south of the Bu Halima garden. An inscription on a red sandstone slab indicated that the tomb is of Masnad Ali Isa Khan, son of Niyaz Aghwan, the Chief chamberlain, and was built during the reign of Islam Shah, son of Sher Shah, in 1547-48 A.D.